Do I Need Flood Insurance in Florida?

Bridget Hinckley, Owner / Agent

A Univeristy of Flordia, School of Business graduate, Bridget has been in the insurance industry her entire life. First working for two large national carriers in underwriting and then her family's Independent Agency, before going out on her own to found Hinckley Insurance.

Direct Dial 561-220-5974

Flood insurance is typically recommended and, in some cases, required in Florida for several reasons:

Did you know the entire state of Florida is a Flood Zone? Whether or not you are required to carry flood insurance depends on a few factors:

Are you in an emergency zone? Do you have a mortgage? Do you have a policy with Citizens?

High Risk of Flooding: Florida is a state with a high risk of flooding due to its geography and climate. It is susceptible to various types of flooding, including coastal flooding from hurricanes and tropical storms, inland flooding from heavy rainfall, and even flash floods in some areas. The state's low-lying coastal regions are particularly vulnerable to storm surge during hurricanes.

Legal Requirements: If you have a mortgage on your property and it is located in a designated high-risk flood zone, your lender may require you to carry flood insurance as a condition of your loan. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) manage these requirements.

Financial Protection: Even if you are not in a high-risk flood zone, it is still a good idea to consider flood insurance. Flooding can cause significant damage to your home and belongings, and homeowners' insurance typically does not cover flood-related losses. Without flood insurance, you could be left with substantial repair and replacement costs.

Peace of Mind: Florida experiences frequent and severe weather events, including hurricanes and heavy rainfall, which can lead to flooding. Having flood insurance can provide peace of mind knowing that you are financially protected in case of a flood-related disaster.

***Citizens Insurance requirements in Emergency Zones***

If you are in an emergency zone, regardless of having a mortgage. If you have a Citizens Policy, you are required to carry flood insurance EXCEPT if your policy is for a condo.

It's important to note that flood insurance policies are typically separate from standard homeowners' insurance policies. You can purchase flood insurance through the NFIP or through private insurers, depending on your needs and circumstances. If you live in Florida or any other flood-prone area, it's advisable to assess your flood risk and consider purchasing flood insurance to protect your property and finances.

Call Bridget at Hinckley Insurance to Explore your Options 561-220-5974